Is it a good decision to consult with a Northvue Pennsylvania accident attorney when property damage, injury and wrongful death occur?
- sending investigators to the accident scene,
- reviewing police reports, witness testimony and medical reports,
- hiring appropriate financial personnel to make valuations of loss,
- determining the cause of the accident,
- supporting victim’s rights against aggressive insurance companies,
- drafting and filing complicated insurance and legal documents.
Compensation for Personal Injury Claims in Northvue PA.
Pennsylvania laws provide for compensation, based on assigned fault and proven claims of negligence, when dangerous mishaps occur in the workplace, on private property, on public property, under medical care, during vacation, or in motor vehicles. An injury attorney in Northvue PA can explain how the law applies in each setting and offer a timeline for making a legal claim.
- An accident lawyer in Northvue PA can assist in determining what types of compensatory award damages are necessary to address economic damages, including lost wages, medical bills, medical care, and treatment, plus household expenses and non-economic damages, including pain and suffering, loss of consortium, or companionship.
- If an injury attorney in Northvue PA can prove that a defendant deliberately, with reckless disregard, acted in a manner to cause harm to another person, punitive damages may be awarded in specific situations.
Monetary awards in Pennsylvania have no cap on most damages, but there is a cap of $500,000 against local government claims, and a $250,000 limit on claims against the State. Northvue Accident lawyers can be of assistance for a variety of legal actions toward fiscal recovery after a motor vehicle, personal injury, premises liability, medical malpractice, or worker’s on-the-job accidental injuries.
Statute of limitations.
Motor vehicle accidents in Northvue PA.
In Pennsylvania, the law requires a report made to the Pennsylvania Department of Public Safety within five days from the accident after collisions resulting in significant property damage, injury, or death. Scanlon & Wojton are trained Northvue auto accident lawyers who can guide accident victims. An auto accident attorney in can explain Pennsylvania’s “modified comparative negligence” rule where an individual can still recover damages in a personal injury lawsuit, but the amount of compensation will be reduced by an amount that is equal to their percentage of fault, but a plaintiff can only seek damages from the defendant if they are less than 51 percent at fault.
Accidents can be caused by blatant negligent acts, such as reckless driving, distracted driving, or driving under the influence, which may result in criminal action and civil action where a victim would need a car accident attorney, or a Northvue PA truck accident attorney to address the intricacies of a case with criminal components.
Personal injury in Northvue PA.
Premises liability in Northvue PA.
Medical malpractice in Northvue PA.
Medical malpractice occurs when an individual is injured while under the care of a health care provider. Pennsylvania has no caps on non-economic damages in medical malpractice lawsuits, but punitive damages are capped at 200% of compensatory damages. Twenty-five percent of all punitive damages awarded to patients must go into a special fund to pay patients whose claims exceed the healthcare provider’s malpractice insurance coverage. The time limitations fall within the two year statute for injury, but always check with a Northvue Pennsylvania medical malpractice attorney to ascertain if there are deviations from that timeline.
Workers’ compensation in Northvue PA.
When a person becomes injured on the job, or contracts an illness that is job-related, they should hire the services of a Northvue PA workers’ compensation attorney at Scanlon & Wojton who can assist with a claim for monetary damages. Injuries may be caused by an accident, or event that results in a physical injury, a medical condition caused by repetitious use of a body part, or conditions associated with the workplace environment itself. A lawyer can deal with the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation claims division on a client’s behalf.
- Medical bills and burial expenses
- Compensation for lost wages
- Compensation for the pain and suffering
- Punitive damages may be awarded on a case-by-case basis.
Legal action after an accident in Northvue PA.